Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Better Half

(ESPN has Erin Andrews, FOX has Pam Oliver, ABC has Michelle Tafoya and What Would Oakley Do? has Becca. Please join me in welcoming our first-ever sideline reporter/guest columnist. "The Better Half" will appear in this space each and every week and will feature the best, brightest and prettiest sports-related musings in all of the land in an attempt to explain what our girlfriends and wives are thinking when we ask them if they want to order wings before the Giants game starts.)

The Better Half
Episode Two
Home-Game Away From Home


Yesterday I had an usual (for me) clothing predicament. I was going to the Knicks/Warriors game and I didn’t know if I was supposed to wear my Warriors shirt or my Knicks hat. I’m from Berkeley, but I live in New York. It’s a quandary many have faced before—who do you root for when your hometown team plays your local team? And, when you’re a not-so-sports loving girl, do you stand by your man (a Knicks fan), or do you stay loyal to your roots? Since I couldn’t quite answer such heavy questions at 7:30 in the morning, I packed both the shirt and the hat. Planning on making the decision later, by making lists of course!

Pro Warriors shirt:
  • I am from California

  • I was raised a Warriors fan

  • Chris got me a special Warriors shirt that I never wear, so here’s a good opportunity



  • Pro Knicks hat:
  • I will be at Madison Square Garden

  • Chris likes the Knicks. A lot. He has Knicks boxers. His brothers have Knicks wallpaper

  • I know a lot (relatively) about the Knicks and follow them sorta kinda

  • Eddie Curry’s tush

  • Nate Robinson’s nimbleness


  • Knicks win? That just didn’t seem fair, because if it weren’t for the second thing on the Knicks list then I probably wouldn’t be at the game to begin with. Shouldn’t things like loyalty and what my dad and brother like override big butts?

    I was still unsure about who to support when the lights at Madison Square Garden dimmed. But when the announcer called out each Knick player, I knew that it wasn’t big butts that ensured my decision, it was that I got a genuine thrill from going to a Knicks game. This excitement came from my newish knowledge of the team—and the sport in general. And both of those came from going to the games themselves.

    I’m always surprised at how much else is going on besides the actual game. People were booing Stephon Marbury and chanting “Fire Isaiah!!.” Drama! Scandal! The celebrity sightings include James Blunt (ew) and Robert Wuhl (an actor I’m sure made his last appearance as a random reference on Family Guy). This is disappointing, but it’s the holidays and the Knicks blow. Hard. The highlight of the night was probably when someone yelled, “eat a hamburger” to a skinny Warrior.

    Yeah, the Warriors are all really skinny, and Eddy Curry just stands there with the ball like he’s a grown-up holding candy and all the kids are trying to reach it. I love it but still become totally bored by the Knicks suckiness. I start poking Chris and asking him questions about the movie Michael Clayton, which we saw a week ago. Chris asks if I have changed back to being a Warriors fan, and I say no. Chris asks, do I want to go the next home game on Saturday? I don’t. BUT, I’ve still got my Knicks hat on.

    After all, I was never an avid Warriors fan. They were just another team I was raised to root for, like the Giants, the Forty-Niners, and the Cal Bears. And even though that does carry a certain weight (which I don’t mean to poo-poo), it shouldn’t mean I have to stick with my hometown teams forever. Right? Sometimes you have to move on! Be your own woman. My fandom for the teams here in New York is something I never had for my teams at home. I am choosing to accept and embrace that. Even when the Knicks really blow. Which they did. Hard.

    No comments: