Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Everybody Beats the Wiz

For the first time in a long time, I passed on a chance to attend a Knicks game. Even worse, I didn't use a pair of tickets that I'd already purchased. There was even someone eager to attend, or, at least, actively pretending to be eager. Nevertheless, the bar codes on my Knicks-Wizards tickets will never be scanned.

After arriving home from Pittsburgh yesterday morning at 6 a.m., bleary-eyed and woebegone, I decided that I was not going to martial the physical or emotional strength to go root, root, root for the home team at the Garden that evening. As melodramatic as it may sound, I simply wasn't ready to go to another game after the enervating experience of cannonball-running back and forth to the bleak Monongahela Valley for the Jets-Steelers game.

I didn't even watch the Knicks game on MSG. Nope. I watched a movie from Netflix with my girl and she picked up Thai food. While I was eating eating some Mussamun Curry and marveling at the lack of acting chops belonging to Jon Hamm, the Knickerbockers were concluding their latest losing streak.

Among baseball players (at least of Mark Grace's generation), a "slumpbuster" is the worst looking young lady at the bar in whatever town you happen to be in. According to Big League lore, your luck turns when you bed this woman. In the world of the NBA, there ain't no gal more busted than the Washington Wizards when they're away from F Street. Like every other team that has taken the Wizards home this season, the Knicks put up a "W."

No comments: