Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Meaningful Basketball Discussions

Just like Donnie Walsh, all Knicks fans have a lot of meaningful basketball discussions ahead of us. So, let's start with the Don's scripted remarks:


And, after that rather stiff foreplay the Don and the assembled fourth estate really get down to brass tacks. And, by "brass tacks" I mean that he is asked every which way how quickly he is going to fire Isiah. And, he gives the best, most meaningful nonanswers that I've ever heard. It is amazing to hear someone speak honestly about this team who is actually affiliated with this team. I can't even describe how great it its. This clip is almost a half an hour long, but it is VERY, VERY much worth the time. It's not often that you get to hear one of the top hoops minds in the game speak plainly at length.


And, though I love the idea (and implied results) of "a meaningful basketball discussion I just can't imagine anyone having one with this Cheshire cat. This is the very definition of a sh#t-eating grin. A picture from this interview is in the dictionary under that entry.


But the knowledge that that man is not likely long for his current post as head coach (and that even if by some Faustian bargain he is able to maintain that role he will not be charged with stocking the cupboard) makes me almost as happy as I know Mike Breen must be. The Knicks play-by-play man has been wonderfully outspoken in his criticism of the Knicks dismal play this year as has is partner Clyde Frazier. As a fan you felt like they felt your pain. And, today you felt like they felt your joy.


Though, the my enthusiasm for all of this is somewhat tempered by the fact that Stephen A digs it.


But, not too much. I'd pick Stephen A over Isiah T any day of the week. Which is saying something. I would rather listen to Stephen A while stuck in traffic every single day for the rest of my life than have to watch Isiah run this team for any longer than the last day of the 2007-2008 regular season. So, bearing that in mind, let's cleanse the pallet with some Chris Sheridan.

No comments: