Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Verknickular

Additions to the native language of our locality inspired by the New York Knicks

Charles Smith Layup Line
Function: Noun
Etymology:

Definitions:
1: a dire predicament caused by incompetence
2: the condition of public embarrassment
3: a total loss of control
4: a no-win situation in which higher powers are blocking the path to success (or not calling any of the many fouls in the play)

In use:
1. The Republican insistence upon deregulation at every turn made it inevitable that Wall Street would end up a Charles Smith Layup Line and ensured it was just a matter of time before I was living in a lean-to and hording canned goods.
2/3. So, me and my brother were out doing shots of jagermeister with these Australian dudes all night long. I totally blacked out. The next thing I know, I wake up in the hallway of the hostel. I'm squatting with my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands. And, I'm only wearing my underwear. Yeah, that sh*t was a complete Charles Smith Layup Line.
4. Sigourney Weaver's character in Working Girl, Katherine Parker, is determined to steal the credit for the good ideas of her subordinate Tess McGill, ensuring that Tess is stuck on a Charles Smith Layup Line.

No comments: