Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bieb Ain't A Part of It


As you may have already heard elsewhere around the Interwebs, teen pop sensation Justin Beiber, who sports fans may remember for A) inspiring New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's 2010 hairdo and B) sporting both San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers gear in some bizarre music video that FOX forced on us during the 2010 World Series was mercilessly booed at Madison Square Garden last night during the Knicks loss to the visiting Mavericks.

Although I'd like to think that I'm hip to what the kids are listening to on their Iberries and Facespaces, I don't think that I'd come face to bangs with the Bieb until that World Series promo video. I'd heard the name before that, mostly in reference to Brady, but was, and actually still am, unfamiliar with it is exactly he does here.

In any case, getting shown on the big screen can be tricky business. Just a few weeks ago, Ethan Hawke was greeted with an apathetic silence during the Knicks-Suns MLK day matinee. It was awkward for him. Awkward for us. Just weird all around. A New Yorker whose wife played soccer on a team with my sister at Chelsea Piers, Hawke was at the game with his kid, and, unlike Bieber, he probably hadn't had the courtside seat booked by a publicist in some attempt to raise his profile among males aged 24-39.

Although Frank Sinatra sang "if I can make it here, I can make it anywhere, it's up to you, New York, New York," I'm pretty sure that this kid will probably keep doing just fine for himself without making it here. By doing whatever it is that he does.

No comments: